Thursday, April 22, 2010

Is Bryan complaining AGAIN!? Yes.. yes he is.

Ok, this blog for me has now become a sort of venue that I can use to went my frustrations on to you, my readers. I know what all 3 of you are thinking. .. "Oh man, all he does is complain" Of course, you are partly right. Now, I would have no reason to complain if humans would just learn how to get up and move around!

This is what I got in my email today from a VERY popular nutritional website. Granted, it is only part of the email, but once I read this far, I just gave up.

"How did going to the gym become such a chore? Why is it so hard to actually want to go? After all, you're in a world of eye-watering odors, sweaty people frowning in concentration and rarely talking to each other, mind-numbing routine, blisters and heavy machinery, while clanging metal and bad music assault your ears.

Sounds more like a steel foundry than a gym. Heck, just take a look at the word: WORK-out. No room for fun there."

Come again?

Going to the gym has become a chore? WHY PEOPLE! Look at the benefits! I preach this to people every day, and then something like this comes out and sets our profession and our ideals back another 5 years.
This is not on the same page as going to the TERRIBLE gym's, but I still think that everyone should read a book I just finished called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. What an incredibly motivating and inspiring story. In this book he talks about human evolution, and why we were, in essence, born to run. - Talk to me if you want a copy.
Here is a small excerpt from a chapter that I found incredibly fascinating.

“The brain is always scheming to reduce costs, get more for less, store energy and have it
ready for an emergency,” Bramble explained. “You’ve got this fancy machine, and it’s controlled
by a pilot who’s thinking, ‘Okay, how can I run this baby without using any fuel?’ You
and I know how good running (and exercise) feels because we’ve made a habit of it.” But lose the habit, and
the loudest voice in your ear is your ancient survival instinct urging you to relax. And there’s
the bitter irony: our fantastic endurance gave our brain the food it needed to grow, and now
our brain is undermining our endurance."

I have a perfect example of this. Today my daughter was dropped off at daycare. She has been having a cough for the last little while and we are controlling it with a puffer. I recieved a call from my daycare today at around 11:15, saying my daughter was going through a coughing fit and needed her inhaler, which was fine, but my girlfriend takes the car to work. I live downtown and my daycare provider lives on the mountain.
Now, I could have taken a cab, I could have seen if my dad was free to give me a lift, but that was not the fastest solution. I knew what I had to do, and I had to do it quick. I slipped on my Five Fingers and got ready to go. Now, I live by St. Joe's and the daycare is on Fennel and Upper Wentworth. There is another problem. Do you have any idea how many useless zig-zags are used to get up the mountain? Well, not when my daughter is having a coughing fit. I found another reason I love these shoes.. They are great for scaling escarpments. I flew up a few back trails I know about to get to Jolly Cut, then ran up the side of the mountain. These shoes are amazing. I have a few cuts and bruises, but I was at the daycare at 11:35. (Sorry to all the drivers who took their eyes off the road to see the weird guy climbing up the side of the escarpment.) The people at the daycare were amazed.
"You RAN?"
"Of course, it was the fastest way to get here."

I don't understand the mindset of people who don't want to push their bodies to the next level. I don't have times where I am training harder than others, I am constantly ready for anything that comes up, and I hope that's the way I stay.

Ok, that wasn't really venting, as much as it was a bunch of random thoughts. I need a longer attention spa. .. . HEY! A quarter!

No comments: