Monday, May 17, 2010

Getting back to the things I love.

I have been spending roughly 1 - 1.5 hours a night reading fitness related articles, e-books and anything related to moving our bodies. I absolutely love spending my free time reading about my profession, but I have realized in the last 2 years that I have kind of strayed away from a few of the things that I loved doing before my obsession with fitness. Now, I know a couple of trainers that spend ALL of their time reading, blogging and just literally spending their lives behind a computer. So I have vowed to get back to doing a few of the things that I have put on the back burner for way too long. (while still reading when I can)

1. Guitar - I sold all of my guitars when I moved to Hamilton 4 years ago, and since haven't bought another. I was thinking about picking one up a few years ago, but then I had my accident which left my fret hand pretty useless. It has been a couple of years now and I actually have most of the feeling back in that hand.. I just picked up a used Ovation guitar yesterday and was surprised how much knowledge I retained. It IS just like riding a bike.. . I even remembered a few solos I hadn't played in at least 4 years.

2. Volunteer work - The feeling I got from helping with the climb this year was amazing. It was an incredible event with an incredible turn-out, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I am going to spend some more time this year at various charitable events, giving my time out to whoever needs it.

3. More family time - My daughter just turned 2 last week, and it feels like just yesterday I was feeding her with a tube attached to my pinky finger. She is at the age now where we can pretty much do anything. I recently bought her a basketball net and she loves it, so we are going to be getting her into a few sports very shortly, to find out which ones she likes.

4. Basketball - I NEVER would have thought I would have stopped playing basketball.. From the time I was a little country boy I remember loving this sport. Now that I work nights, it is a bit harder to find some pick up ball to play. I saw a couple of guys playing last week when I was out for a morning run so I stopped by to see if they were out periodically and if they needed an extra man. Turns out they are out there every morning, so I am going to blow the dust off of my high tops and see if I've still got anything left. It's been about 2 years since I picked up a ball, but I am pretty damn excited to see if I can pick up where I left off.

I suggest that everyone does the same. Find some things you LOVE, that you have given up for whatever reason... and get back to them. It brings back a joy that not much else can match. I feel like a kid again. .. Mind you, a hairier, bitchier kid, but a kid nonetheless.

2 comments:

Sheila Wynne Fung said...

...wait what?
This article almost makes it sound like you have some kind of heart... soul...
I'm so confused.

Bryan Smith said...

Don't you have some math to do? Or some rice to cook?

There, is that better?